Friday, May 18, 2018

My Grandma's Bench

In my Grandma's garage was this old bench that my aunt was going to throw away. Nooo!  It took the trek from IL to OK so I could bring it to my home.

Since this was going in my home, I was fine with doing a quick job on it.  The only prep work I did was to hose it down with the water hose and scrub it with Dawn dish soap (for grease since it was in the garage). 

At some point, my Grandma had covered it with contact paper that was white with gold vintage stars... stars that weren't vintage back in her day, but popular. She then painted 1 side and the legs white.  I see where I get my resourcefulness. 😏

I wanted to give it a dry brush look with the beautiful gray peeking through but it was too shiny for the paint to stick where I wanted.  So I ended up giving it an all over sloppy paint job.

In the end, I like this look much better than what I was originally going for.  It now serves as a coffee table in our family room, along with the rest of our family treasures.  Since the kids use the table and another coat of paint could be in the future, I didn't even seal it. 

And because I just love looking at before & after photos, I made a few to go along with this fun project.

I hope you are enjoying Spring in your area.  It is so beautifully green here and the air is filled with the aroma of honeysuckle.  We are enjoying our evenings in the back yard watching the birds and hummingbirds at the feeders.  An occasional nap in the hammock has been delightful too. 😉😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by for a visit ~