Friday, January 10, 2020

Winter Cardinal Tree

We don't like dark and dreary winters around here... so we keep a couple of Christmas trees out through the winter, or until it starts to thaw out and warm up a little.

The cardinal tree was born out of my love of watching the beautiful cardinals, especially the bright red males, in the winter branches.  We only have a couple of feeders but we can have 12-15 male and female cardinals at a time!  It's such a beautiful sight.

I bought this 7.5 ft Mixed Pine Tree with snowy branches, pine cones, and red berries back in 2008.  The lights didn't work and I got it for 80% off... can't beat that!  But I spent two full days snipping off the clips that were holding the lights on each and every 1,266 branch!  Now it is worth it but at the time I was ready to trash the tree.  😖  We've enjoyed her for the past 12 years.  

I only have gloss and matte red glass balls and cardinal ornaments on this tree.  Nothing else.  It's rather simple, but I like it that way.

Every year I buy 1 cardinal ornament for it.  This year got away from me and I didn't think of it.  Thankfully a sweet friend must have known... as she painted this cute ornament for us!  How precious is that?!

It's so nice to have the overhead lights off and only the glow of the Christmas tree, along with the lights on the mantel and hutch.  It makes this cold, rainy, dreary day feel so warm and cozy!  We're supposed to get a little snow tomorrow... our first of the season.  I hope we do!  Be safe and stay warm in this winter weather~

6 comments:

  1. Cardinals are beautiful. I grew up in Indiana where they are the state bird. We don't have them here and I miss them. Your tree is lovely. I can see why you decide to enjoy it longer. We had huge snowflakes falling today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comment on my cardinal tree! How neat for cardinals to be the state bird, I would love that haha! And so sad for you that you don't have cardinals there. I would miss them too. I really enjoy them year round here, I am fortunate for that!

      Delete
  2. Your tree is beautiful. How wonderful it must be too see that many cardinals in your yard at once. I think they look especially pretty with a snowy background. Hope you get that snow. Here it's just rain today. My tree is still up and the lights are on. It sure does cheer things up on a dark day. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's been dusty around here for so long, that it's really nice to have visitors again! And thank you for the sweet comment on my tree. Our snow was enough to cover the ground and then disappear as fast as it came, lol. Oh well, maybe next time. Have a delightful weekend~

      Delete
  3. I purchased a silver tree on clearance a couple weeks ago - now I want to pull it out and decorate it. Your's is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes girl, pull that silver tree out and decorate it for winter!! You still have lots of weeks left, lol!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by for a visit ~