Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How very sad


I came across this from another blogger last night and I'll be honest, I was outraged,  shocked, so angry.  
An Etsy artist who goes by the name of "You Stupid B%#@&" is causing quite a stir.  The following text is from the petition for Etsy that I signed, along with adding it to both of my facebook accounts and twitter.  Please scroll down to the link, click on it, and add your name to the petition.  It takes less than a minute.  There have already been over 1,000 people sign it since I did last night.

"Congratulations. You Got Bad Touched."

That's the message printed on cards currently for sale on your website by the user "youstupidbitch." That card is offensive, demeaning, and potentially traumatizing to survivors of sexual assault. The same user also sells cards that mock breast cancer patients and mothers of special needs children. All must be removed from your website immediately.

The first card in question feautres a drawing of a naked sexual assault victim curled up on the floor of a shower stall, "printed on heavy duty white cardstock" complete with "red accents and matching envelope." Can you imagine if someone sent that to an actual rape victim? The cards for breast cancer and Down Syndrome are no better. 

Your official Terms of Use state that you "has no control over the quality, safety, morality or legality of any aspect of the items listed." However, in the list of prohibited items, Etsy says that it does not allow items that harass others or that are deemed obscene. I think a strong case can be made that this card fits both categories.

Etsy may not have a legal obligation to remove the cards in question from its site, but it does have, in my opinion, a moral imperative. Does your company really want to be known as the go-to website for cards that harass, offend, and traumatize survivors of sexual assault, breast cancer patients, and parents of children with Down Syndrome? Do you want to open the doors for sellers like youstupidbitch to peddle the wares unimpeded? I hope not. 

Please remove this card from their website and send a message that this type of product is unwelcome on your website.


http://www.change.org/petitions/view/tell_etsy_to_remove_rape_congratulations_cards_from_website

It even made it to CNN.  Here is the link to the video: http://cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2011/01/07/jvm.greeting.cards.hln

Yes, I was outraged, so angry but now that I've had time to settle down, think about this, and pray... I have decided to leave you with the information and let you do as you please.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5  For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.  The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world.  On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Angie, There are alot of people that this has upset. I feel there should be criminal charges brought against this seller for publicly harassing victims of crime. I signed and reported his stupid arse to Etsy.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there no end to the sickness in this world? I pray for people like that to be shown how much they are hurting others. I hesitate to sign the petition (but I will in the hope that it gets them removed) because I wonder if it gives that person a sense of satisfaction to get all the attention. The saddest part is that all the attention has probably sold more cards for them. Sad, sad, sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me sick. Thanks for posting this. Yes, I agree with LibbiesHome-this seller is getting all the attention now...what he/she wanted. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sick person obviously has never been effected in any way, must have a perfect life. I'm outraged! I do agree with the others that he/she is getting more attention by informing others about the very demeaning messages on the cards. Further, I hate to believe that there are that many other sick-os out there that would consider purchasing one and sending to someone! I will sign this and forward on to others. I'm also very disappointed in Etsy for allowing this to even be on the site.
    ~Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just signed the petition. There currently are over 16 thousand signers. This really is sad. I am also disappointed in Etsy for allowing such a store. Surely Etsy will delete this store, even if only to keep their membership from reducing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the second post concerning this information I have seen this week. I have an etsy account. I decided to just look up the listings for this store. It has not been deleted as yet. I was not at all finding it funny to have to type the sellers name in the space either. More shocked when I seen & read some. I find them offensive & hurtful. I would not want my children to see them nor would I send or want one sent to me. As you said we can pray & speakout against it by signing the petition. Making my way there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People are crazy! That's all I can say.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know what is wrong with people! I popped over to answer your question. I keep the dishes in an old china cabinet. I have other blue dishes
    to show and a set of Currier & Ives, that my Mom gave me. Thanks for stopping by.

    Bear Hugs & Blessings~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. can you believe this person selling this garbage..I have written to etsy and they are looking into it..thanks for stopping by my blog..I am going to try the soft scrub right now and hope it works.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have requested that etsy remove this sickening stuff! Just awful!!
    patti

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is unbelievable the ugliness that is out there, I'm sorry to hear that this attitude even exists!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree in how sick these cards are. Happy to see that Etsy has changed their policies earlier today and thus banned these cards.
    http://www.etsy.com/storque/article/11599

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can not believe that someone so heartless would be trying to sell such items. As being a person who has been affected with one of the three items listed, I take to great offence and would like to have a one on one with this person.

    I signed your petition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is unreal, isn't it! I have signed that petition and flagged his shop as inappropriate! I hope they do something about it.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is sad that this kind of "hate thinking" exists. I am often at a loss as to understand why people get to the point where they think like this thoughtless and cruel seller. If his products were targeted at another group- I am sure Etsy would take him off the site. It is a sad commentary of our society.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a visit ~